Monday, October 5, 2020

"Mr. Watson, Come Here. I Want to See You."

This was our first time outside the New Brunswick bubble since COVID-19 began in March. We hadn't been to Cape Breton Island in many years, so we booked an Airbnb and headed out. 

Love these windmills at the border between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

The border certainly looks different. When a bubble formed with the four Atlantic provinces, there were long wait times at each province's border; however, we zigzagged through and, with one look at our license plate, they waved us on. 

Cape Breton, here we come!

It was a beautiful day for travelling...

The Canso Causeway...the gateway to Cape Breton.

Thank you! Glad to be here...


The trees looked like a cushy blanket...I was a little surprised that the fall leaves didn't seem to be as colourful as they were at home.


This way or that way? Cheticamp, it is!

This was reminding me a lot of "downshore" in New Brunswick.

Heading into the French part of the Island...

Beautiful views...


Cheticamp...our home for the next five days.

Now that's a big church. You can pretty much guarantee that churches of this size will be Catholic.

The church up close...

And our little Airbnb...it was right on the water, which was lovely. It was also right on the road, which didn't bother us. We got used to the traffic noises pretty quickly.

Jim was already in his favourite spot in any place we go...on the balcony.

The view from the balcony...

Love the bright colours...

It was chilly, but sunny, for our first selfie.

The next morning we found the Aucoin Bakery. This bread was too hot for them to cut. She asked us if we wanted it anyway...heck, yes!

Sea salt caramel cookies...we also bought a couple of sandwiches to eat as we headed towards Baddeck.

The colours were prettier here...


Poor Jim...he is usually driving along when I say "Pretty!" which means he must find a place to stop so I can take a picture. 

When I looked up the Margaree area later, I found there were many, many rentals in this area. 

I can see why...these colours were spectacular.


With another shout of "Pretty!" Jim turned in to what looked like a picnic site. Washrooms were a bonus!

We munched on our sandwiches and admired the view and the crystal clear water.


Nature is amazing...

Look how the bark has grown over the sign and under the letters!

Our destination of Baddeck...

A cute little town...

With the main draw being the Alexander Graham Bell Museum


I hadn't been here in probably 35 years, but did have some memories of it.

Loved this windshield sticker on the car in the parking lot...

A peaceful view...

I had forgotten what an inventor Bell was...

People were brave then...does this look like something you'd want to jump in and fly?


Bell's father most likely influenced his work as he was an author on numerous works about elocution and was the creator of Visible Speech which helped the deaf learn to talk.

Huh! Who knew!

The talking glove...these people had amazing, creative minds.

And, of course, the telephone...

March 10, 1876...

History in phones...

This was one of my memories of the museum from years ago...I did remember a room with a plane suspended it in. 

Amazing...

And then the hydrofoil...



In the fall of 1921, a year before Bell's death, the HD-4 was dismantled and lay for decades on the shore at Bell's estate, Beinn Bhreagh.

Ooohhh...I do love a good mansion. I asked one of the guides if Beinn Bhreagh was still standing and she confirmed that it was.

One of the sad things about the pandemic is that the movies and any of the interactive displays were not in use. That would have really added to the experience.

Exiting out of the museum to the grounds around the site...

Now, I was intrigued...could we find Beinn Bhreagh?

After googling the address, we set off. This seemed too easy!

Yup. They were on to us. This sign clearly shows we are not the first people to come searching for the estate.

We headed back to Cheticamp...I swear if I see "blowing snow" I'm out of here!

Home again! I actually brought my camera with me this time instead of relying solely on my phone for photos. I circled the wharf in the background...

As I zoomed in...

To see the life preserver...I will admit I am a lazy photographer. I want pictures, but I really don't know enough about changing lens and so on. So far, this camera with its long zoom has really suited my needs.

A beautiful evening...calm and clear.


We headed to the Harbour View Restaurant. The food was really good and the views were outstanding.

Tomorrow, we planning to hit the Cabot Trail!

No comments: